A few weeks ago I attended a Pinterest party… A party inspired by food and projects found on Pinterest. We made holiday crafts, ate fun treats, downed jello shots… just your basic Tuesday night with my crew. We were all tasked to bring a recipe discovered on Pinterest. I found a dip that I thought sounded tasty, so I made that… welllllll it wasn’t great. It was super bland and just didn’t do what I was thinking that it should, so I made a few changes and kicked up the heat factor quite a bit and it was a hit!!! Everyone loved it. We all agreed that it would taste brilliant on top of a potato or smothering a veggie burrito.
1 organic russet potato
1/2 cup broccoli [frozen heated or fresh steamed]
1/4 cup black beans
2-3 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
A ton of spicy cashew cheeze sauce [recipe below]
I flatten my potato out… I think that’s a family thing. Sandy flattens her potato; therefore, I flatten my potato. Instead of using any butter I smother it with salsa and smush that into the potato, then sprinkle on black beans, broc, and cheeze and super easy, super quick, super healthy meal!
Spicy Cashew Cheezey Sauce
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight if not using a Vitamix
1/2 cup of veggie broth [water will also work]
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 full teaspoon cayenne pepper [less if your a wuss]
1 teaspoon sea salt
Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth!
If spicy isn’t your thing, this potato rocked my rocks. Inspired by, Jyoti Bihanda, a hippie joint in Normal Heights. I quickly sautéed some fresh broccoli with veggie stock. Once it’s cooked through, add some thick chopped onions. Flip about for a minute or two then douse with tamari. Bam. Smoother a smushed potato with the whole pan of goodness. WINNING!
Military life is not always easy and it’s rarely glamourous, but once a year we get to dress up and get all fancy to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday. It’s basically Prom for grown ups and it is awesome! Because prom with booze equals crazy good times. It was a blast and we had an amazing time until, like the end to many a great story, The Captain became belligerently drunk… So the night was fun, they actually had some weird vegan food for me, and bonus, I watched my husband’s boss dance to Thrift Shop. Yes, it was pretty brilliant. But the real story here is my killer dress! Rent the Runway you complete me! I can’t believe I’ve waited so long to use this site. What I really can’t believe is that I didn’t invent this site! GENIUS!!! So in case you have no idea what I’m talking about, Rent the Runway is a site where you can actually rent designer gowns/accessories for special events. Now the real win here is that you can save TONS of money and not be stuck with a dress that you won’t ever wear again. This Badgley Mischka was like 80% off of retail! They send you 2 different sizes, so you don’t have to worry about one not fitting. For 15 bucks more you can’t get a second dress! Magic! You get the dress the day before your event and can keep it for 4 or 8 days. It sounds so daunting, but it’s so easy and I will never buy another cocktail dress or black tie gown ever again— It’s perfect for weddings, fancy parties, etc etc. I’m a huge fan. Can’t wait to use them again. So dude, someone invite me to something fancy, stat!!!
So I’m not sure if you know this, but The Captain is ah-mazing. I’m not just saying that because I’m married to the guy. He has a knack for finding the next big thing, whether it’s the newest hip glasses company or a soon to be massive website. He’s just that cool… Here is his list for must haves for Christmas! Hopefully it will help when shopping for the cool dude in your life! Hope you enjoy his witty commentary below, sort of makes sense that we’re married, right?! After his post, make sure to check out all of the CyberMonday deals on the interwebs today!!
1. Cole Haan Colton Oxford: Try keeping your sneakers in the gym bag and opt for something with a leather sole. And if you still feel like you may need to spontaneously dunk on somebody, Cole Haan has other classy offerings with Nike Air technology.
3. Jack Purcells: Blue Jack Purcells, because you can never have enough pairs. A pair for going to the beach, one for yard work, one for running out to the store after dinner because ice cream and Oreos sound good.
4. The Embassy Pen: Because when you use a 60 cent Bic, you drop your guard and people keep walking off with your pens. But when it weighs almost a quarter of a pound, you’ll notice it missing out of your pocket. This is an heirloom your kids will be fighting over.
5. Driving Snap Cap: Because gentlemen wear hats. Just know when to take ‘em off.
6. Paul Newman Print: Framed. Actor, veteran, race car driver, devoted husband, humanitarian, and all around badass. Your better half will appreciate this piece of wall art.
7. Tie Bar: Often simple is best. Simple is also often timeless; your “#YOLO” trucker’s hat is not going to become a family heirloom the kids fight over.
8. Rat Pack Print: Framed and put in a place of honor. Like next to the bar. No bar? Okay, in sight of your whiskey chair.
9. Ice Molds: Why was this sitting next to the neckties in the men’s section of J. Crew? Oh that’s right because almost everyone around you in the shopping mall during the holiday season becomes a monster and this reminds you to swing by the liquor store on the way home to grab a bottle of Basil Hayden’s so you can decompress in your favorite chair when you get home. Well done J. Crew, I’ll take two.
10. Flask: Don’t you dare ruin the gentlemanliness of this flask by pouring in your favorite whipped cream flavored vanilla vodka. Whiskey only.
11.Guide to Moonshining: Something to read while you’re in your favorite chair? Oh, and by the way that homeless man who asked “Excuse me, do you have any change?” outside the liquor store has more manners and general awareness than you jackals at the mall.
12. Louisville Slugger: A good wooden bat is classy and nostalgic. Representative of both distinguished gentlemen and youthful boys. You can even look for replica bats of your favorite players for a personal touch. Great for home defense against burglars or zombies.
13. Knife Magnet: A simple yet elegant way to store your cutlery in the kitchen adhering to form follows function principals, by protecting their edges and keeping them easily accessible. You know, for zombies and stuff.
14. KA-Bar: Again, a multipurpose gift great for chopping onions, frenching a rack of lamb, or for eliminating the undead.
CYBER MONDAY SALES!!!!!
[ASOS US] Save 20% off site wide. DATES: Through Dec 2 – CODE: GIMME20
[BaubleBar] Take 20% off site-wide and play their Cyber Smash game for a chance to win prizes – like $100 off. DATES: Dec 2 – Dec 3 – CODE: CYBER20
[French Connection] Save 30% off your total purchase + free ground shipping on orders over $150. DATES: Through Dec 2 – CODE: W13COUPON
[Gap & Banana Republic] SAVE 40% off your total purchase + free shipping on orders over $50. DATES: Through DEC 2 – CODE: CYBER
[LOFT] Save 50% off EVERYTHING! DATES: Through Dec 2 – CODE: CYBER50
[Madewell] 25% off your entire order. DATES: Through Dec 2 – Code: FEAST25
[Nordstrom] Shop new markdowns of 40% or more on a wide variety of items. DATES: Through Dec 2 (10PM PST)
[Piperlime] 30% off entire purchase. DATES: Through Dec 2 – Code: CYBER
[Rebecca Taylor] Save 25% off site wide. DATES: Through Dec 2 – CODE: RTMONDAY25
[Shopbop] Save 15% when you spend $250, save 20% when you spend $500, and save 25% when you spend $1000. DATES: Through Dec 2 – CODE: BIGEVENT13
[Target] BOGO 60% off on apparel, shoes, and accessories. DATES: Dec 2
[Urban Outfitters] Save $15 off $75, $25 off $100 and $50 off $150 and enjoy free shipping. DATES: Dec 2
I’m so full this year– not of vegan stuffing, although that’s always a possibility. I’m so full of joy. It’s been a crazy year and I’m so happy that my little family is reunited and The Captain is home for the holidays! Hooray! I thank God daily for the beautiful, magical life I’ve been blessed with and I’m overwhelmed by all of the love in my world. I wish you all the happiest Thanksgiving!!!
I’m a lazy person. It’s just a fact. I love any opportunity to be in my pajamas snuggled up to my puppies reading a good book with a cup of my favorite Trader Joe’s candy cane green tea. Comfy and stylish pajamas are da’ bomb! These pj bottoms are so much fun and would even look cute out and about, don’t believe me?? Keep reading. I’m obsessed with this Madewell sweatshirt, it’s brilliant! No wonder it keeps selling out! I just want to curl up next to the fire with those vegan chocolates, turn on some Kelly Clarkson Christmas music, and read the newest awesome YA novel. If that doesn’t sound like lazy girl paradise then I just don’t know what does!
So here’s proof that good pajamas can transition to casual daywear pretty easily!! I think this is such a cute look and all the pieces are great gifts for the lazy fashionista. I’m obsessed with these booties and they are such a great value!! And I love-love-love this little B ring. I’ve been wanting a piece of jewelry with The Captain’s initial on it to show my undying love and this fits the bill!! Hope this helps you shop for some of the ladies in your life! Be sure to check back Monday, The Captain will have his list of must haves, straight from the man himself, for the dude in your life!
I can’t tell you how much I love vacation. It’s one of my favorite things in the entire world. I don’t even have to be going far, although that never hurts, I just love the carefree attitude of being on vacation, especially when The Captain is actually with me! This trip brought us to The OC, Newport Beach to be exact, which is only about an hour away. That’s right folks, we went on a freakin’ Staycation! Boo-ya!!! We were able to catch up with old friends, eat food, oh so much food, play dirty card games, and see how the other half lives. Here’s a wee little photo diary of our fun!!
Beautiful, right?? Yeah it was waaaay too cold to get in the pool, but it did provide a stunning view! And come on, people sized chess pieces?? Awesome-sauce!
So who’s the most awesome vegan orderer ever? Oh yeah, this girl!! I managed to make a deliciously yummy sandwich at a seafood restaurant with zero vegetarian options, let alone vegan. It can always be done! Avocado sandwich, with onion, arugula, and tomatoes and a super healthy side of fries. What!? I’m on vacation and fries are delicious! Take your judgement elsewhere!!! Ppppshaaaww I call this look the “chic tourist” and I think it delivers. And let me take a minutes to gush over my Target booties, yes Target! They are brilliant and at 36 dollars, I can’t for the life of me understand why you don’t have them yet! Go!!!! Purchase!! [top] Banana [denim] J Brand [booties] Target [scarf] Target [bag] Rebecca Minkoff Fred Raptor, followers. Followers, Fred Raptor. Yeaaahhhhh, so rich people are weird as shit. This is just sitting in the front lawn of one of Balboa Island’s crazy wealthy residents. I mean the houses here are so baller there are literally no words, so of course one of these crazies puts a massive Velociraptor in their front yard and names it Fred and gives him his own Facebook. Totally normal.
Please credit Blissful Happenings appropriately when using images and/or content. Stealing is, like, so very uncool.
Blissful Happenings is a part of an affiliate program that offers a small commission after you click on various links and shop. Rest assured I will never link to anything that I don’t truly love! Blissful Happenings don’t play no games.